The future can be scary.
After all, it’s the unknown.
Or is it?
Because the God who created you and me knows what every tomorrow we could ever face holds. But, we don’t know, and that can be petrifying.
One of my favorite scriptures is Philippians 4:6-9 – “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
See how I underlined “prayer”?
I used to think I was a bad Christian if I read prayers others had written online and prayed them. I thought all my prayers had to come directly from my own vocabulary, and while that is a wonderful option, the words aren’t always there.
Whenever we’re speechless and at a loss for words, but still want to pray, I hope these prayers can be even the smallest bit helpful.
1. Father, I know you hold my future and want nothing but the best for me. I’m just so anxious about what tomorrow will hold. I ask that you give me patience and understanding for the here and now. I ask that you would help me to see that these times of uncertainty are growing me into the person you’ve called me to be. In none other but your holy name, Amen.
2. Lord, the keeper of my soul, only you know what the future will bring. Only you foresee all that lies ahead. I trust in you always, all I ask is for your presence to wash over me in this moment. For you’re the prince of peace and the good Shepard to your flock. Relieve me of my anxiety and deliver me to your heart. In none other but your holy name, Amen.
3. Father, I come to you with a restless heart. What lies before me is so unclear; my destination on earth is not known. Guide me down this path to what is best in your eyes, not mine; reminding me endlessly that you are God and I am not. In none other but your holy name, Amen.
4. Jesus, I call out your name as I try and make sense of all that lies before me. I’m so confused and don’t know what to do. I need your direction, your strength, your love, to lead me into the forthcoming. I take refuge in your arms and find hope in all you’ve promised. In none other but your holy name, Amen.
5. God, the words that depict my emotions aren’t coming to mind. All I know is I’m scared of what I don’t know. Please help my soul find rest in your presence; help me to be still and know that you are God. Help me to relinquish control and give my life over to you; after all you’re the one who gave it to me. You are my strong and mighty fortress; please remind me of that in my many moments of doubt. In none other but your holy name, Amen.
I hope you guys enjoyed this post! Praying is such an important aspect of growing in your relationship with God. Don’t feel like your prayers need to be poetic and that God is judging you. He hears every word and understands your heart.
Do you find it difficult to pray sometimes?
5 Prayers For The ____ ? <— Fill in the blank for my next post in this series!